Sushi has been known for one of the most iconic dishes for Japan. However, the term “Sushi” is mislead as a dish of raw fish only while the main ingredient of its traditional versions is mostly “rice”. To be honest, one of the easiest ways for consistent quality is finding your best rice cooker for sushi rice.
Let’s learn how to cook Sushi rice perfectly to enjoy restaurant-quality Sushi right at your house via this article.
If you are totally a newbie in sushi, check out the latter part to learn about this interesting dish and more tips for cooking!
- Top 10 Best rice cooker for sushi
- 1. Toshiba TRCS01 Cooker
- 2. Zojirushi NP-HCC18XH
- 3. Cuckoo Non-Stick Coating Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Cooking
- 4. Zojirushi NS-LGC05XB
- 5. Aroma Housewares ARC-5000SB
- 6. Cuckoo CRP-G1015F 10 cup
- 7. Zojirushi Micom Rice Cooker
- 8. TIGER JBV-A10U 5.5-Cup
- 9. JOYDEEM AIRC-4001
- 10. Zojirushi NS-WAC18-WD 10-Cup
- 11. Cuckoo CRP-JHVR1009F
- 12. Panasonic 10 Cup
- What is Sushi?
- What kind of rice do you need for making sushi?
- How to cook sushi rice perfectly?
- Birch Recipe: 2 delicious Sushi dishes for you
- In Short
Top 10 Best rice cooker for sushi
1. Toshiba TRCS01 Cooker
- Capacity: 3L (uncooked)
- Dimension: 16 x 12 x 9.75 inches
- Weight: 9.08 pounds
- Functions: Fuzzy Logic, keep warm, delay timer. removable steam vent
- Menu setting: Brown Rice, White Rice, Porridge, short or long-grained rice, and oatmeal.
- Inner pot: non-stick
- Accessories: Steam Basket, Serving Spatula, Soup Ladle, Rice Measuring Cup
This rice cooker is my favorite one on this list for 3 reasons.
Firstly, this device is super convenient for the keep-warm function upto 24 hours. You don’t have to fix your schedule to the time it finishes cooking. After your rice is done, the cooker would automatically switch to the keep-warm stage to retain the heat until you are ready to eat.
Moreover, the delay timer is perfect for busy people like me. Because my job often requires me to go out before noon, cooking can be impossible. With the delay time option, you just need to add rice and water and set time when you want to eat.
Lastly, the intelligent 6-step cooking process is totally worth it. The aroma of cooked rice and fluffy texture always help me to relax from stressful things. Highly recommended for everyone, especially sushi lovers!
Soft, well-cooked, moisted rice
2 Programmable delay time
7 preset menu (with sushi rice option)
Easy-to-read LCD display
Easy to clean non-stick inner pot
A bit bulky
2. Zojirushi NP-HCC18XH
- Capacity: 1L or 1.8L (uncooked)
- Dimension: D*W*H = 15.5 x 11 x 9.5
- Weight: 11 pounds
- Functions: triple heater, automatic keep warm, 2 setting delay timer
- Menu setting: white rice (regular, softer or harder), jasmine white rice, mixed rice, sushi rice, porridge, sweet rice, and healthy options for brown rice, GABA brown rice
- Inner pot: Black thick spherical
- Accessories: Serving Spatula and measuring cup
The Superior induction heating ensures your rice to be cooked flawlessly. Thanks to this function, this is one of the best rice cookers for sushi dishes.
The delay timer is integrated into the product as well. You just literally put your rice into the cooking pot and set the timer. Together with keep-warm, your rice is ready to make sushi at any time.
Lastly, the detachable stainless steel inner lid helps me so much in cleaning tasks. This is important to maintain the cooker for a long time.
Tasty rice with induction heating
Evenly cooking with Triple heater
Clear-coated stainless steel exterior design
LCD control panel
Interchangeable melody and beep signal
Easy to clean
Not as mobile as the first one – no handle
3. Cuckoo Non-Stick Coating Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Cooking
- Capacity: 10 cups
- Dimension: 16.2 x 11.9 x 11.4 inches
- Weight: 16.5 lb
- Functions: 1.8 ATM pressure cooking, voice navigation (3 languages), Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Cooking Algorithm
- Menu setting: 19 options (Sushi Rice, Chicken Soup, Porridge, Ferment Bread, Bread Baking, Chicken soup, and more)
- Inner pot: 304(18/10) stainless steel with a heat-responsive aluminum core base
First to be mentioned to the Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Cooking Algorithm. Your delicious rice is ready in no time from white sushi rice to tough-to-cook brown ones. The menu contains many options so that you could cook different kinds of foods by just one cooker. As a result, this is perfect for making sushi rice.
This Cuckoo rice cooker would not let you down for the convenience it provides. The Smart NFC only for Android OS devices allows you to control the cooker while you are not around. Moreover, the voice navigation helps a lot.
Lastly, it is totally safe for home usage. This cooker is installed with automatic steam and pressure emission, a lid locking device, auto temperature control and an alarm for overheating. You would avoid cases where hot steam could burn out while opening the lid.
Fluffy rice for sushi
High-tech support your cooking
English language setting
Large size for whole family
Strong built-in quality
High price (but it worth every penny)
Smart NFC technology is for Android only
Quite large fingerprint
4. Zojirushi NS-LGC05XB
- Capacity: 0.54L – 3 cups (uncooked)
- Dimension: (W x D x H):9-1/8 x 11-7/8 x 7-1/2
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Functions: triple heater, delay timer, fuzzy logic technology
- Menu setting: white/mixed riced, sushi rice, brown rice, GABA brown rice, long grain white rice, steel cut oatmeal
- Inner pot: removable
- Accessories: rice spatula, spatula holder, and rice measuring cup
With the capacity of 3 cups, the Zojirushi NS-LGC05XB is a perfect choice for small families or couples, especially sushi lovers.
You don’t have to worry about the time and stirring the rice. This rice cooker comes with a micro computer to automatically adjust interior temperature and time while cooking.
Moreover, the interchangeable melody and beep signal would allows you to know when the rice is ready no matter where you are in your house.
An advantage of this model is the retractable power cord. Storing and moving is not a problem when you could always hide the cord inside when not in use.
Sushi rice and brown rice are cooked perfectly
Easy to clean
Easy to store retractable cord
Removable steam vent cap
User-friendly with LCD display and sound signal
Small to fit in any kitchen
Not for big family
5. Aroma Housewares ARC-5000SB
- Capacity: 10 cups (uncooked) – 5 quarts
- Dimension: 11.2 x 10.8 x 11.4 inches
- Weight: 8.5 pounds
- Functions: auto keep warm, 15 hour delay timer
- Menu setting: 12 options
- Inner pot: removable
- Accessories: a non-stick inner pot, rice measuring cup, steam tray, and a plastic rice spatula
With an affordable price, the Aroma Housewares ARC-5000SB should be one of the option to consider when you are searching for a sushi rice cooker.
This product contains the most basic functions only. However, this is not its weakness but strength as it turns out to be user-friendly for most people.
The built-in steam function provides options not only for rice, but also for soup, veggies, or even a cake. The nutrient would be retained through the steaming method so it is a great way to start living more healthily.
The one-pot design allows you to cook your meals above and rice below at the same time.
Basic but indeed function with good price
Cook evenly and thoroughly
Large size for whole family
Convenient handle bar
Cook slower than most of other options
A bit messy in the vent area while cooking
No detachable cord
Saute setting is not that great
Unhelpful digital display
6. Cuckoo CRP-G1015F 10 cup
- Capacity: 10 cups – 5L (uncooked)
- Dimension: 15 x 11.4 x 11.5 inches
- Weight: 14.9 pounds
- Functions: Fuzzy Logic & Intelligent Cooking Algorithm, keep warm
- Menu setting: Sushi Rice, Chicken Soup, Porridge, Ferment Bread, Bread Baking and more
- Inner pot: teflon coating
The water drainage system of this Cuckoo CRP-G1015F would save your sushi rice a thousand times. By collecting water from the cooking process, it keeps your rice fresh and clean, which is important to make perfect sushi. This also helps your rice to stay fresh for a longer time after being cooked.
If you have once felt like the recipes or instructions from other people are not really your types, it is normal as each person has a different taste. The Cuckoo ‘My Mode’ function is perfect for you. It is a unique technology to adjust cooking temperature, degree of ‘softness’ and ‘glutinosity & tastiness’ based on your own taste.
2-Layer Soft Steam Cap
12 Safety Features
Keep warm and delay setting
Drainage system for perfect sushi rice
The design is a bit cheesy with pink color (but it’s cool if you love pink!)
Heavy and take up much space
7. Zojirushi Micom Rice Cooker
- Capacity: 3 cups (uncooked)
- Dimension: 12.88 x 9.38 x 7.88 inches
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Functions: triple heater, auto keep warm, 2 option delay timer, fuzzy logic technology
- Menu setting: white/sushi rice, brown rice, long grain white rice, steel cut oatmeal, quinoa, cake and quick cooking
- Inner pot: black non-stick 2.5mm thick
- Accessories: measuring cup and spatula spoon
The thick black inner pot of Zojirushi together with the triple heater and fuzzy logic technology would ensure your sushi rice to be tasty and fluffy.
The result turns out well as the keep warm function would automatically turn on once the rice is ready. This prevents your rice and food from over-cooked and drying out.
If you don’t have much time for cleaning, this product is a good option for you. The inner lid, steam vent cap, and inner pot are removable for easy cleaning.
Lastly, the detachable cord would be a plus point to keep everything in your kitchen neat and clean.
Moist and perfect rice
Interchangeable melody and beep signal
Easy to clean
Well built-in quality
Compact and lightweight
Cook a bit slow
Only for a small family or a couple
8. TIGER JBV-A10U 5.5-Cup
- Capacity: 5.5 cup or 10 cup (uncooked)
- Dimension: W 10.6 x D 13.9 x H 8.4 (5.5 cups version)
- Weight: 5.7 pounds
- Functions: Automatic Keep Warm
- Menu setting: Synchrony-cooking/Plain rice/Brown rice/Slow cooking
- Inner pot: non-stick, easy to clean
- Accessories: non-stick spatula, Cooking plate, Measuring cup and Cookbook for using “Synchrony-cooking” function
With the design of dual level cooking, you could prepare two dishes simultaneously. The synchronized cooking function comes with a BPA free cooking plate for meals preparing above while rice cooking below.
Although it is not the best rice cooker for sushi on this list, it is a good product for the tight budget.
Detachable Inner Steam Cap
BPA Free Cooking Plate
Easy to use with simple function
No specific function for sushi rice
9. JOYDEEM AIRC-4001
- Capacity: 8 cups (uncooked)
- Dimension: 17 x 13.1 x 11.6 inches
- Weight: 16.46 pounds
- Functions: electromagnetic fire heating technology, three-dimensional heating
- Menu setting: White rice, sushi rice, brown rice, oatmeal, crispy rice,GABA rice, claypot rice, porridge, soup, sticky rice, yogurt
- Accessories: line, main machine, steamer, manual & card, power cord, soup spoon, rice spoon
The Joydeem micro computerized technology provides you with rice fragrant, sweet and chewy. Thanks to the power to adjust the temp to fit the rice and water more effectively, you don’t have to worry, just wait and enjoy the rice.
The LCD screen with one-touch control makes sure you have a good experience with the easy operating system.
Even though the operation is simple, there are so many functions to expect from this cooker. You can make a variety of meals, rice, and even sweeten dessert with it.
Tasty and moist rice
Easy to clean
10. Zojirushi NS-WAC18-WD 10-Cup
- Capacity: 5.5 or 10 cups (uncooked)
- Dimension: 14.38 x 11 x 9.88 inches (10 cups version)
- Weight: 9 pounds
- Functions: Fuzzy Logic technology, delay time – 2 options, auto keep warm
- Menu setting: white/mixed; sushi; porridge; sweet; brown; rinse-free and quick cooking
- Accessories: rice spatula, spatula holder and rice measuring cups
With the design of white compact shape, this product would be a consistent part in your kitchen.
The delay timer and automatic warm function would support you so much to keep up with busy job but still enjoy time with the beloved one.
Fluffy rice for daily meal and sushi
Detachable power cord
Convenient handle bar
Clean white color
Compact design with large capacity
No oatmeal option
11. Cuckoo CRP-JHVR1009F
- Capacity: 5.3 quarts
- Dimension: 19 x 14 x 13 inches
- Weight: 24.9 pounds
- Functions: voice navigation for Korean, English and Chinese, intelligent cooking algorithm, safety functions
No matter what kind of rice you add in, the intelligent cooking algorithm would do it job well. This rice cooker can detect grain type to adjust temperature and cook time.
More than just a kitchen device, the voice navigation enhances your experience just like you have a little assistant on your counter.
Helpful function for easy cooking
Strong and durable materials
Take up much space on your counter
12. Panasonic 10 Cup
- Capacity: 5 or 10 cups
- Functions: auto shut-off and auto keep warm
- Menu setting: 5 to 18 auto menu – brown rice, white rice, glutinous rice, mixed rice, short or long-grained rice
- Accessories: streaming basket, measuring cup, and rice spoon
The simple function is a strong point of this Panasonic rice cooker. Although there is no function for sushi cooking, you would be pleased when using the white rice function for this purpose.
The plastic exterior makes it light and easy to move around. However, you would need to clean it often to remain the bright outlook.
Fuzzy logic technology
Timer and auto function
Made from plastic
No sushi rice function
What is Sushi?
Basically, sushi is ways of combining rice with meat, fish, and vegetables (sometimes even fruits worth trying).
The aim of this dish is to ensure the balance in nutritions consumed while delivering best tastes to people. Moreover, it is also compact and convenient to serve food for in many occasions even casual picnic or luxury restaurant.
Traditionally, sushi was first invented by the Japanese ancestors to make full use of fermented food in the times when refrigerators were not available yet.
What kind of rice do you need for making sushi?
Choosing the right sushi rice is not too hard as people thought. I suggest you consider 3 points of rice for best result:
Firstly, most of the time, it is white rice. Although some new recipes could include brown or half-brown rice, white rice brings best consistency overall.
Secondly, if possible, try to look for Japonica short rice (short-grain Japan). This is the recommended rice to make sushi just like the Japanese! In case you can’t find it anywhere near you, medium-grain California or long-grain Calrose work well in a pinch.
Lastly, for alternative purposes, you could look for half-brown rice to add more vital vitamins to your dish. I suggest Akita Komachi but you surely could try anything – cooking is creativity and having fun!
How to cook sushi rice perfectly?
Most of the experienced sushi chefs I’ve known give similar advice about the importance of rice consistency to make perfect sushi.
According to them, the secret (aka common mistake) of people is to over cook the sushi rice. Doesn’t matter if you use your stove or rice cooker for sushi, remember to keep it slightly under-cooked.
Only by adjusting this little thing, your rice would not get too soft and clumpy when mixing with vinegar.
Besides that, another thing to enhance the consistency is spending 20-30 minutes soaking the rinsed rice with cooked water. If you are in a hurry, you can skip this.
All of the things would be much easier if you find a good rice cooker as your kitchen assistant. Just put rice in, press buttons, and sit back. The basic steps is below:
Step 1: Rinse the rice.
You would need a find-mesh strainer and cold water. Rinse the rice gently untill water becomes clear with no murky.
Step 2: Cook the rice.
Just cook it with the preset function cooker. Most rice cookers don’t require stirring rice. However, in some basic models you would need to do it when your rice is done. Remember, don’t mash harshly but gently slice and fold your rice.
While waiting, prepare a mixture called “vinegar sushi”. This is a combination of vinegar, sugar, and salt. The amount of each season could be adjust based on your taste.
Step 3: Season the rice with vinegar sushi
Step 4: Cool down
Place a thin damp towel on the surface of the rice to keep it drying out while cooling down.
Step 5: It’s time to roll Sushi.
Birch Recipe: 2 delicious Sushi dishes for you
Sushi for beginner: Tamago (Japanese Omelette sushi)
First, stir well the mixture of 4 eggs, with mirin, soy sauce, and sugar (ratio: 3 tsp, 2 tsp, and 2 tsp).
Next, prepare a square pan (round pan would be okay just in case!). Heat it up and pour tamago batter onto it. Keep it 1cm thick.
Wait 2-3 minutes to see the brownish shade on the under surface. You don’t need the upper surface to be well-done at this time. Gently fold it.
Oil the pan and continue pouring the mixture.
Repeat these steps 3-4 times until the eggs get to the thickness you want.
Finally, take it out of the pan and cut into 2-3cm long pieces. Place the tamago on the rice pack and hold them together with a band of seaweed.
Simple recipe for intermediate sushi-er: Spicy Tuna Roll
First, mix well mayonnaise, chilli sauce, fresh lemon juice, and sesame oil (ratio: 1 tbsp, 1 tsp, 1 tsp, and 0.5 tsp)
I suggest you use 60-70g tuna for a roll. Mix tuna with the mixture prepared.
Next, place a layer of rice, then, seaweed. You totally could place the seaweed below rice as well!
Put 2 thick slices of avocado, and the mixed tuna on top. Start to roll it thoroughly.
Finally, cut it into 2-3cm long pieces and serve on your favorite plate.
Can you cook sushi rice in a rice cooker?
Definitely, YES, you can!
With modern technology today, there are so many options of cookers that provide sushi rice cooking as a basic feature. Making sushi rice in a rice cooker these days is the best choice for busy people as the machines are smart enough to take care of all aspects.
Can I use any rice to make sushi?
Any rice could be eaten as sushi but only a few of them would make the perfect sushi feeling. We suggest Japonica short rice (short-grain Japan) as the best option.
Read more about what kind of rice is best for sushi here.
Is sushi rice good for you?
YES, it is.
In a moderate amount, sushi is good. The combination of rice, meat or fish, and veggies provides you with the balanced nutrient intake.
However, it is not encouraged to eat too much sushi, especially sashimi (a kind of sushi with fresh raw fish). The reasons are because of its high protein proportion and the risk of dangerous parasites on the raw fish.
Can sticky rice be cooked in a rice cooker?
Yes, it can.
Rice cooker is a perfect device to cook sticky rice. They provide function to keep rice sticky but fluffy and moist as well.
Is Jasmine rice good for sushi?
Jasmine is long-grained rice which contains only 70% of the Amylopectin which is the decisive part for the sticky texture. While it is 80% in the short-grained rice in general.
Do you need to soak rice before cooking in a rice cooker?
Yes and No.
Although soaking rice would not add up too many differences to your rice, it would help the rice to cook more evenly.
On the other hand, many cookers nowadays come with the triple heater and other supporting functions to spread heat evenly and cook rice well.
Therefore, if your rice is cooked unevenly, try to soak it 20-30 minutes before cooking.
There you have just read everything about rice cooker for sushi making. I hope you get something new from my article and choose one cooker for your family.
Sushi may not be the easiest food to make, but an interesting thing to try. Don’t hesitate to give it a try!
Read more about sushi making tips: