Making sushi rice without rice vinegar or other traditional sushi rice ingredients can be challenging, but it is possible to create a tasty and authentic dish using alternative ingredients. Here’s a recipe for making sushi rice without rice vinegar:
- 2 cups of sushi rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Rinse the sushi rice in cold water until the water runs clear. This removes excess starch and prevents the rice from becoming too sticky.
- Combine the rinsed rice and water in a pot, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt. Heat on low, stirring until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes, covered.
- Add the vinegar mixture to the rice, and stir gently until the rice is evenly coated.
- Let the rice cool to room temperature before using it for sushi rolls.
Note: You can also use other types of vinegar, such as white vinegar or lemon juice, as a substitute for rice vinegar. The sugar and salt help to balance the acidity and flavor of the vinegar. You can adjust the amount of sugar and salt to taste.